7 Ways to Spring Clean Your Kitchen
As the weather begins to warm up, now is the perfect time to give your kitchen—and your diet—a kidney-friendly makeover. The first step is to take inventory of what you have. After that, follow these steps:
1. Check expiration dates and throw away anything that has expired.
2. Donate anything that’s still safe for those not following a kidney diet and isn’t expired to your local food bank. Find one near you by visiting FeedingAmerica.org.
3. Replace high-sodium versions of foods, such as broths, condiments and dressings, with lower sodium ones.
4. Fill up your produce bowl with seasonal fruits and veggies.
5. Swap unhealthy fats, such as shortening, for healthy fats, such as olive oil.
6. Remove any store-bought sauces and gravies with ingredients you don’t recognize.
For more kidney-friendly diet tips and delicious recipes, download a free Today's Kidney Diet cookbook.