Happy Holidays Brunch for the Kidney Diet
Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or just enjoy all the festivities this time of year, our renal-friendly brunch menu and tasty recipes will make this holiday season more delightful.
Many times people on a dialysis diet either feel they must deprive themselves of yummy holiday foods in order to keep their lab results in line, or decide to forget about their renal diet altogether this time of year. The good news is indulging in delicious foods doesn’t have to mean you miss out or go overboard. DaVita.com has asked our DaVita dietitian team to put together some holiday favorites for those on a dialysis diet as well as those who have chronic kidney disease (CKD) who are not on dialysis. (Naturally, portion control is advised, as well as discussing your holiday menu with your doctor or dietitian.)
Because you may want to host a holiday brunch for family and friends who are not on a renal diet, these recipes are low in sodium, phosphorus and potassium, but high on flavor. No one will ever know the foods you’re serving are renal-friendly unless you tell them. If you’re invited out for the holidays and need to bring a dish, you’ll be able to share a tasty treat with fellow party-goers and know it adheres to your dialysis diet. By limiting portions of higher protein foods, these recipes are also appropriate for those with chronic kidney disease who are not on dialysis.
We invite you to try the scrumptious recipes on our brunch menu. We’ve made it easy for you with a comprehensive grocery list and easy-to-follow recipes. Happy holidays.
Suggested breads and spreads for your brunch include:
- French Bread Baguette or English Muffin Halves- Calories: 80, Protein: 2 g, Carbohydrate: 15 g, Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 130 mg, Potassium: 35 mg, Phosphorus: 35 mg, Calcium: 30 mg, Fiber: .6g. Renal and Renal Diabetic Food Choices: 1 starch.
- Assorted Jams & Fruit Spreads (single serving)- Calories: 50, Protein: 0 g, Carbohydrate: 10 g, Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 5 mg, Potassium: 15 mg, Phosphorus: 2 mg, Calcium: 0 mg, Fiber: 0 g. Renal and Renal Diabetic Food Choices: 1/2 high calorie.
Please consider the following suggestions when planning your holiday brunch:
- Menu items are provided as possible choices; it is not intended to consume all food items listed.
- Portions should be limited to individual meal plans, diet goals and stage of kidney disease.
- Always rely on your health care team to recommend individualized instruction for your diet.
- 1 container breadcrumbs, plain
- canola oil
- nonstick cooking spray
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 pound cake flour
- 1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- pancake syrup
- 1 bottle champagne
- 12-ounce can 7 UP®
- 8 ounces cranberry juice
Bread, Cereal, Crackers, Pasta
- 10-inch angel food cake
- 1 pound loaf cinnamon raisin bread
- 1 package bite-sized oyster crackers
- 1 box low sodium crackers
- 1 package matzo farfel
- 1 small package unsalted pretzel twists
- 4 ounces dry rotini pasta
- Kellogg’s® Crispex® cereal
- Ralston Purina® Rice Chex® cereal
Dairy and Nondairy
- two 8-ounce packages cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- 2 dozen eggs
- 1 quart low cholesterol egg product
- 1 stick margarine, regular & unsalted
- 1-1/2 quarts liquid nondairy creamer
- 1 small carton Hazelnut cinnamon nondairy creamer
- two 16-ounce containers Cool Whip® dessert topping
- 1 small container sour cream
- 5 large apples
- 1 bag raw cranberries
- 1 lemon
- 1-1/2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1-1/2 cups crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- 5 fresh strawberries
- 2 pounds beef or pork tenderloin
- Catalina or Russian salad dressing
- dried dill weed
- dry mustard
- Gulden’s® spicy brown mustard
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- prepared horseradish
- Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper
- chili powder
- cinnamon sticks
- ground cinnamon
- ground cumin
- coarse black pepper
- pumpkin pie spice
- rum extract
- vanilla extract
- 1 cucumber
- 1 pound frozen French style green beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 onions
- fresh parsley
Get Free Kidney-Friendly Cookbooks
My Kidney Diet. My DaVita Diet Helper.TM
Get 1,000+ recipes for quick and easy meal planning.
Recipes, tips and news for people on a kidney diet.