Happy Holidays Brunch for the Kidney Diet
Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or just enjoy all the festivities this time of year, this kidney-friendly brunch menu and tasty recipes will make this holiday season more delightful.
Many times people on a dialysis diet either feel they must deprive themselves of yummy holiday foods in order to keep their lab results in line, or decide to forget about their kidney diet altogether this time of year. The good news is you can still enjoy delicious foods in moderation. DaVita dietitians put together some holiday favorites for people on a dialysis diet as well as people who have chronic kidney disease (CKD) who are not on dialysis. (Naturally, portion control is advised, as well as discussing your holiday menu with your doctor or dietitian.)
Because you may want to host a holiday brunch for family and friends who are not on a kidney diet, these recipes are low in sodium, phosphorus and potassium, but high on flavor. No one will ever know the foods you’re serving are renal-friendly unless you tell them. If you’re invited out for the holidays and need to bring a dish, you’ll be able to share a tasty treat with fellow party-goers and know it follows your dialysis diet. By limiting portions of higher protein foods, these recipes are also appropriate for those with CKD who are not on dialysis.
We invite you to try the scrumptious recipes on our brunch menu. We’ve made it easy for you with a comprehensive grocery list and easy-to-follow recipes. Happy holidays.
Suggested breads and spreads for your brunch include:
- French Bread Baguette or English Muffin Halves- Calories: 80, Protein: 2 g, Carbohydrate: 15 g, Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 130 mg, Potassium: 35 mg, Phosphorus: 35 mg, Calcium: 30 mg, Fiber: .6g. Renal and Renal Diabetic Food Choices: 1 starch.
- Assorted Jams & Fruit Spreads (single serving)- Calories: 50, Protein: 0 g, Carbohydrate: 10 g, Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 5 mg, Potassium: 15 mg, Phosphorus: 2 mg, Calcium: 0 mg, Fiber: 0 g. Renal and Renal Diabetic Food Choices: 1/2 high calorie.
Please consider the following suggestions when planning your holiday brunch:
- Menu items are provided as possible choices; it is not intended to consume all food items listed.
- Portions should be limited to individual meal plans, diet goals and stage of kidney disease.
- Always rely on your health care team to recommend individualized instruction for your diet.