- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 medium onion
- 12 strips bacon
- 12 fresh jalapenos peppers
- 12 fresh banana peppers
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 24 toothpicks, no color dye
- Slice onion into quarters. Cut bacon into halves.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick cooking spray made for high heat. Pre-heat outside grill on low or inside grill such as a George Foreman™ grill.
- Prepare peppers by removing seeds from inside. Cut long ways on one side of the pepper to split it open.
- Cut chicken into 24 pieces, sized to fit inside peppers.
- Stuff one chicken piece into each pepper. It’s okay if some chicken remains outside the pepper.
- Place one slice of onion on top of chicken to cover.
- Take bacon and wrap around pepper/chicken/onion and secure with toothpicks. Use several toothpicks inserted in different directions to secure.
- Place on grill.
- Cook until bacon is crispy, approx 10 to 15 minutes. Flip and rotate often to prevent flames from burning bacon as grease drips.
- Use fresh bacon and chicken to reduce preservatives and additives. If unable to find fresh bacon, soak raw bacon in cold water 5 minutes to remove some of the sodium and other additives.
- Fresh bacon is also known as pork belly. Recipes are available for making homemade bacon using fresh pork.
- Place wraps on top rack if grill flares up and wraps start to burn.
- Jalapeno peppers are lower in potassium that banana peppers (30 mg vs. 80 mg).
Nutrients per serving
Protein 10 g
Carbohydrates 1 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 26 mg
Sodium 96 mg
Potassium 147 mg
Phosphorus 84 mg
Calcium 9 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Natalie from Texas.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register