Fresh Tofu Spring Rolls
2 spring rolls
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 12 leaves Romaine lettuce
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 16 ounces firm tofu
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 rice wrappers for spring rolls
- Wash and dry the lettuce, then cut each leaf in half lengthwise. Cut carrots julienne style. Slice onion. Set aside.
- Boil 6 cups of water and set aside to soak the rice wrappers later.
- Drain and pat dry the tofu. Slice it into 12 pieces, each about 4" long.
- Spread the tofu on plate and season it evenly with cumin, granulated garlic, sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan with olive oil. Place the tofu strips in the pan, seasoned side down. Season the other side and fry until the bottom is lightly browned, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and fry until second side is lightly browned. Place the tofu on a plate to cool.
- Pour hot water into a large shallow bowl. Dip a rice wrapper in hot water. Once it's slightly soft, place the wrapper on a large plate and place 2 halves of the lettuce in the center of the wrapper. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of carrot and 1 to 2 tablespoons of sliced onion on top of the lettuce. Place one cooled tofu strip on top of the vegetables.
- Fold the sides in, and then fold the bottom up and roll tightly. Repeat with the rest of the rice wrappers, vegetables and tofu strips.
- Refrigerate and serve cold with your favorite low-sodium dressing.
- Serve with 2 tablespoons of low-sodium dressing. Miso ginger dressing is a good choice.
- Although the amount of salt used in this recipe is minimal, some individuals may wish to further reduce sodium content by using salt-free seasoning. Mrs. Dash and Kirkland No Salt Seasoning are good alternatives.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Christina from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 161 mg
Potassium 302 mg
Phosphorus 93 mg
Calcium 46 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
12 muffins SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register