Tofu Eggless Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
- 16 ounce package Super Firm Tofu
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1 Tablespoon mustard of choice
- 5 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric for color
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Open package of tofu and squeeze out extra liquid in a towel. Chop the red onion, celery and fresh dill.
- In a large bowl, mash tofu with a fork, potato masher or dough cutter.
- In a small bowl, mix mayo, mustard, and seasonings together.
- Place all ingredients over the mashed tofu in the large bowl and mix together. Enjoy as you would any egg salad.
- Get the plain unseasoned super firm tofu that is not packed in water for a firmer texture. Other tofus will also work though. But NOT silken tofu.
- Black salt (kala namak) is an option to add to this recipe. It may be hard to find in the store, but can be ordered online. It is recommended for that sulfur flavor to make it taste like eggs.
- May add other chopped veggies such as bell pepper or pickle relish (watch the sodium). If you do not like turmeric or the lemon juice, they can be left out of the recipe.
- You may also used vegan mayonnaise to replace the regular mayonnaise in the recipe.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Holly from Nevada.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Potassium 203 mg
Phosphorus 133 mg
Calcium 311 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register